Street Construction Closures
These events have received permits:
- April 27 from 5 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Cars on The Square. Gates open at 7 a.m. but streets closed early to prepare: Jefferson, Marion, Market and Washington around The Square. Washington to the RR will also be closed.
- Sept. 14 from 7-10 a.m. - Travis Manion Foundation 5K; starts and ends at Veterans Museum and impacts Pryor, Marion, Washington,Hine, Houston, Third Avenue, Madison, and West Hobbs.
- Sept. 21 from 7-10 a.m. - KALB Duck and Run 5K; starts and ends at Big Springs Park. Route impacts East, Washington, Forrest, Houston, First Avenue, Madison, Market, Marion and Beaty.
- Oct. 18-19 from 5 p.m. on the 18th to 9 p.m. on the 19th - Marion and Washington closed.
The City of Athens coordinates with the Alabama Department of Transportation on these projects, and the dates are subject to change
- Forrest Street bridges and resurfacing – The street east of U.S. 31 will close March 4, 2019, and remain closed until summer 2020, weather permitting. This is to replace the two bridges over Swan Creek and make other safety improvements. Click here for more project info.
- Alabama 251 roundabout – Wait until Forrest St bridges done. (State project)
- Courthouse Square – Weather permitting, work should be complete by mid-April.
- U.S. 31/Pryor Street Sidewalk – In the design phase.