Curbside recycling will return to Athens on Monday, Oct. 4.
Sanitation Director Earl Glaze said the last day sanitation crews will pick up the blue recycling bins with household garbage is Friday, Sept. 24. After that date, blue bins should contain accepted recycling products only.
This service is for picking up recyclables from the curb. The city furnishes 1 recycling bin per residence. Rinse all containers thoroughly before placing them in the recycling bin. Please place bin on curbside by 6 a.m. on your collection day.
- Newspaper - Recycle all newspapers and inserts.
- Steel/Tin Cans - Aluminum and steel cans. Rinse all food and beverage cans.
- Plastic - All plastic bottles that have #1 or #2.
- Corrugated - Cardboard All corrugated cardboard should be flattened and put inside the cart.
Please have bins to the curb by 6 a.m.
Single Stream Recycling
- City residents receive a 96-gallon recycling can similar to their garbage can, if they choose to participate in curb-side recycling.
- Those who live west of U.S. 31 will have recycling on the first and third Mondays, and those who live east of U.S. 31 on the second and fourth Mondays. This is subject to change if the city sees a need to enhance the routes. In months with a fifth Monday, there will not be recycling pickup on that fifth Monday.
- Residents can put all of their recycling in the 96-gallon recycling container.
- Items not accepted include all glass and plastics with numbers 3-7. A new item that will be accepted is cardboard.
- You can take glass to the Athens-Limestone Recycling Center:
15896 Lucas Ferry Road
Athens, AL 35611