If you think you smell natural gas, or need to report a emergency, call Athens Gas Department 24 hours a day at 256-216-8621
Natural Gas Safety Tips
- Learn all you can about natural gas. The more you know... the more you will be safe
- Use your nose. If you ever detect even a small amount of the odor of natural gas in the air, don't stay-Get Away! Then contact your natural gas provider. If you don't know the number dial 9-1-1
- Look for the blue flame. If pilot lights and burners have a steady, blue flame, the are operating correctly. (Decorative gas fire logs are the only exception. Their flame is usually yellow).
- Have all gas appliances, furnances, vents, flues, chimneys and gas lines in your home or business inspected every year or two by qualified industry professionals.
- Keep the areas around all appliances and equipment clean and unblocked to allow for proper are flow.
- Follow manufacturer instructions for the care and use of gas appliances and equipment
- Make sure there is at least one multipurpose fire extinguisher in your home or place of business
- Review these natural gas safety tips regularly with ALL family members and coworkers @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Ever let small children play with or near natural gas appliances or pipes, even the knobs on the oven or cooktop
- Use your stove or oven for anything other than cooking (for instance, to heat your home), under any circumstances
- Move or install a gas appliance or change the connector in any way without professional assistance
- Use a space heater UNTIL you are sure it has been properly vented. if using a vent-free heater, make sure the automatic cut-off switch is operational
- Install a gas appliance yourself. Always use a contractor licensed by the Alabama Plumbers and Gas Fitters Board
- Ever Store household chemicals or combustible materials near gas appliances
- Above all, don't forget to learn what to do if you ever smell natural gas in the air: SMELL GAS? ACT FAST! @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>