- Engineering & Community Development
- RFI Master Plan
RFI Master Plan
CITY OF ATHENS
July 29th, 2020
The City of Athens, AL is seeking technical assistance and professional planning services to facilitate a community visioning and planning process that culminates in the updating of its comprehensive plan. The comprehensive plan should be used to help guide and improve livability, economics, mobility, recreation, employment, services and education in the City of Athens, AL. The comprehensive plan should guide the cost effective and expeditious provision of public services including but not limited to transportation, recreation, public safety, utilities, and education. The comprehensive planning process will lead to updates of the city's Zoning and Development Regulations. The Comprehensive Plan should build on past plans and development practices. These changes and the updated Comprehensive Plan will be based on input received through the public participation efforts.
The consultant or team should have the following skills at its disposal for this project:
- Service delivery strategy
- Public participation and Outreach strategy
- Land Use Planning
- Community visioning and implementation strategies for their accomplishment
- Urban Design
- Growth pattern and impact assessment
- Demographic and market trend analysis
- Establishing LOS (level of service) guidelines as a measure of performance
- Establishing a consistent long range planning and grant development program
- Municipal Budgeting for infrastructure and asset construction
- Utilities infrastructure planning
- Strong knowledge of Alabama State laws applicable to the planning process
The City of Athens, AL is located in Limestone County in Northern Alabama. Athens is the County seat of Limestone County. Interstate I-65, US Highway 31 and US Highway 72 are major US corridors within the center of our community. The US Census Bureau gives the 2018 population estimate of Athens as 27,366.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
Preparation of a comprehensive plan that includes the following elements each should include statement of goals, objectives and policies to direct and guide the immediate and long range growth and development of the city.
- Population analysis including demographics
- Land use
- Future land use (including current land use)
- Evaluation of land uses
- Transportation Plan
- Pubic services elements: Public Utilities, Public Works and Public Safety
- Housing element
- Conservation and natural resources
- Open Space and Recreation
- Recreation Facility Use and Needs Projections
- Intergovernmental Coordination --- Athens Utilities Including Service Boundary Growth Projection
- Employment Base Growth – Industrial Park Projection and Location
- Community and Cultural Facilities
- Historic Preservation Element
- Community Design Element
- Implementation and Funding Program
Every element should include:
- Use of Geographical Information System Technology (GIS)
- Public Participation
Phase II – Not part of this project
- Subdivision Regulation review and update
- Zoning ordinance review and update
Request for Interest -- RFI
It is the City of Athens intent to receive Letters of Interest for the planning effort to complete Phase I of the Updated Comprehensive Plan. Upon receipt of the RFI the City shall have a selection review committee to recommend approximately three firms to move into a Request for Proposal Phase with formal presentations and a graded selection process.
REQUIREMENTS FOR REQUEST OF INTEREST
The RFI response displays clearly and accurately the capabilities, knowledge experience and capacity of the respondent to meet the requirements of the project and the RFP. Respondents are encouraged to utilize methods they consider appropriate in communicating the required information. At a minimum, this will include submission of the information requested below:
Statement of Qualifications
- Firm Description including business location or locations and the firm's officers.
- Email address of contact person for this projects
- Past experience with updating Comprehensive Plans and development regulations, with reference contact names and telephone numbers.
- Evidence of general knowledge in city planning, environmental analysis, transportation planning, capital budgeting, infrastructure planning, and other relevant professional work. Please demonstrate knowledge of Alabama State enabling legislation and laws.
- Resumes of project team
- A list of work performed for public entities for the past five years the submitter would consider innovative or that employed innovative techniques. Include a brief description of the work and your reasoning as to why you consider it innovative or distinct.
- A list of at least three public entities of similar projects over the last five years including contact names and telephone numbers and contract prices.
- Service delivery experience and analysis strategy including a brief description or outline of the planning approach used by your firm.
- Estimated budget
The selected consultant will also be required to obtain a City of Athens Business License and will be required to demonstrate that they are compliant with the requirements of the Beason-Hammon Alabama Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act, Act No. 2011-535 (Code of Alabama (1975) § 31-13-9)
In order to be considered, all requested information shall be submitted to:
City of Athens
Athens City Clerk's Office
Attn: James Rich
200 West Hobbs Street
Athens, AL 35611
By no later than noon CST, August 21st, 2020.
The City of Athens anticipates notifying the firms selected to move to Request for Proposal
Phase by September 4th, 2020. It is the City of Athens intent to be prepared to make a recommended selection by October 26th, 2020 and complete the project within approximately six months.
For additional information, please contact James Rich, 256-233-8725, firstname.lastname@example.org.