City of Athens Relay for Life Team
The Athens community is using caring and commitment as tools to continue its fight against cancer.
The City of Athens Relay for Life Team announced it raised $12,500 for the American Cancer Society during the 2019-2020 campaign despite the inability to hold three of its main fundraisers during the COVID-19 pandemic. Team Captain Holly Hollman and team member Mayor Ronnie Marks presented a check to ACS Senior Community Development Manager Cherry Hammonds at City Hall.
“I was expecting $2,500 or $5,000 at the most because I know you were not able to do several of your fundraisers,” Hammonds said. “This shows what a great community you have in Athens and Limestone County.”
The City of Athens traditionally has a Relay for Life Team to support the efforts of the American Cancer Society and to support local cancer patients with medical-related travel expenses, wigs, scarves and support groups.
Based on available records, the City of Athens Relay for Life Team has raised over $174,000 for the American Cancer Society since 1999.
The team has started its 2020-2021 campaign and raised approximately $4,500 at its rescheduled Limestone Cattlemen's Steak Sandwich fundraiser. The team also worked with other Relay Teams in Limestone County to collect and distribute care baskets to local cancer treatment centers.
Catching a 'Spark' of kindness
Spark Academy at Cowart Elementary first graders who visited City Hall a few months ago asked how they can make a difference in their community. City of Athens Relay for Life Team Captain Holly Hollman told them the team collects cola tabs and along with Elkmont Church of Christ, sends them to Ronald McDonald House of Memphis. RMHM provides support for children and families who have a child undergoing treatment at St. Jude.
The first graders listened and acted! They collected 39 pounds of cola tabs by making marketing posters for their school. Their teachers also had them learn math. The students put the tabs in gallon bags and weighed them to count how many they collected.
The students presented the City of Athens Relay Team with their collection today, and they promised to keep up the good work. They know first hand the impact because one of the school's students currently goes to St. Jude for treatment and the family stays at Ronald McDonald House.
NOTE: The school delivered several more pounds of tabs at the start of the 2020-2021 school year. The tabs were collected prior to schools closing for COVID-19. We appreciate the students supporting our efforts!
- Hope. Fight. Relay. purple garden flags, $10. Call 256-233-8730.
- Relay for Life stained glass sun catchers in the shape of a purple ribbon, made by High Cotton Arts artist Denise Maurer, $10. Call 256-233-8730.
- Vintage Relay T-shirts "35 Years Strong"; $10; Comfort Color (one left!!!) Call 256-233-8730.
- Relay for Life gift baskets drawing on Nov. 23, 2020. Get tickets by calling 256-233-8730. One basket is a $90 and includes a $25 gift card to Starbucks and $20 one to Pimentos. Basket two is an $85 value and includes a $20 gift card to Terranova's and a $20 card to Trinity's.
- North Pole Stroll the month of December at the Duck Pond; our team will have a "Wishing for a Cure" Christmas tree decorated as part of the community event.
- Christmas Open House; Nov. 20-22; our team will operate the Pepsi trailer on Marion Street, selling beverages and snacks, Relay items, etc. Will also accept donations for tickets for the drawing for the gift baskets.
- DELAYED DUE TO COVID-19: Will announce a new date later - Celebrity Waiters Night at Applebee's
- Bass Fishing Tournament Spring - TENTATIVELY rescheduled by Ingalls Harbor for May 9 - will depend on any amendments to the COVID-19 state health order
- Dan Williams Memorial Blood Drive - To Be Announced @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
City of Athens Relay for Life Team Fights Back and Supports Community
- We recycle cellphones for money that goes to the American Cancer Society. Drop off your unused cellphones at City Hall for Kim Glaze or Holly Hollman.
- We recycle cola tabs for Ronald McDonald House at St. Jude. Bring your cola tabs in a Ziplock bag to City Hall for Kim Glaze or Holly Hollman.
- We support various cancer awareness months by wearing our awareness colors and sharing information. Those that hold a special place in our hearts include Gynecologic Cancer and Childhood Cancer Awareness both in September, Breast Cancer Awareness in October, Pancreatic Cancer Awareness in November, and Colon Cancer Awareness in March.
- We support events for survivors and those currently battling cancer.
- We host an annual blood drive in May in honor of the late Rep. Dan Williams, a former mayor of Athens who died from leukemia. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>